ash wallpaper

Monday, April 6, 2015






CONFERENCE IN NORTH CAROLINA AND EASTER SUNDAY IN SHELBY !!!


Hey Y'all! Did you have a Happy Easter?
Hey you guys!  This week was a little strange.  Between helping Sister B pack, Sister B getting sick, Me getting sick, and Sister G getting Sick... we weren't able to accomplish much... but despite that, WE HAD AN AMAZING WEEK!  So many silver linings!
So instead of the day by day that I usually do, I will pick probably 2 or 3 experiences worth sharing, and write about those.  So it will probably be a little shorter this week.

Anyway... Here was a few things that stood out to me this week.

On Monday night, we were able to go out to dinner with the H's!  They made us laugh the entire night!  I think the funniest thing said by Sister H was when we were talking about them coming out to visit us sometime next year.  We started to talk about the things they could do, the food that was there, etc.  When we told brother Hthat he had to try Cafe Rio, Sister H got soooo excited!  She said, "Ooooohhhh my gosh.  It's soooooo good!  But I have to tell you girls.  One time, someone asked me if Cafe Rio was as good as Chipotle.  That's like asking if the local McDonalds is as good as the Outback Steakhouse!"  I pretty much died!  Y'all have to meet them if they come visit!  They're the best.  Sister H and I have adopted each other as best friends.  She even made a special trip to the church on Wednesday to tell me when they found out the gender of their baby!  WooHoo!  :)

We were also able to do some yard work for a member of the ward this week.  She and her husband really appreciated our help.  We lifted things and raked, and moved things, and spread mulch, etc.  She gave me the nickname muscles because I was lifting all of the heavy things.  But we were able to learn more about she and her husband because of it.  They are such amazing people.  They were actually sealed in the Los Angeles temple.

I loved how many opportunities we got to talk to recent converts this week before General Conference.  We were able to share of the importance of General Conference and how to apply the teachings that are shared to our daily lives.  Both as missionaries, and as members.  Adam was really excited.  He came up with questions that he wanted answered and everything.  The B’s were excited, but I still don't know if they came to know of the importance.  But they enjoyed it.  And with time, I know that the things they learned will be of great value to them.

This week we were really focused on strengthening ward members.  We have two new missionary faces in the ward which is good for the members.  They love to be able to work with us, and I know that this combination of missionaries in Shelby right now will really get the work progressing.  We even got a new Ward Mission Leader.  Our stake president in the Gastonia stake got released, and we are fortunate enough to have him in the Shelby ward.  And he got called as Ward Mission Leader the Sunday after he was released.  We hadn't been having coordination meeting, member splits, anything.  After he was called, he asked if we could meet between conference sessions yesterday.  It was amazing.  He asked us who we were working with, how he could help, who could go out with us, how we can help them progress, etc.  He was even calling the members to go out with us as we were in the meeting!  He's great!  We also went over less-actives that he and Bishop would like us to go see and things like that.  Now we just have to work on finding techniques.  IF ANYONE READING THIS HAS ANY FINDING TECHNIQUES THAT THEY FOUND TO BE EFFECTIVE ON THEIR MISSIONS... PLEASE SEND THEM MY WAY.  IT DOESN'T EVEN HAVE TO BE ON A MONDAY – YOU CAN SEND THEM ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.  JUST SEND THEM, SEND THEM, SEND THEM!  :)

But now for the most wonderful, amazing, spectacular, indescribably outstanding part of my week and yours.... GENERAL CONFERENCE!
Yes - I was able to watch all 4 sessions.  I would have to say my Favorite was the "powerhouse session" as us missionaries are calling it... Sunday Morning Session.  Really though, who wouldn't like a session where you get to hear from President Monson, Elder Holland, AND President Uchtdorf?!?!?!?!  I think I cried for a lot of that session as well because of either intensity, happiness, or gratitude to our loving Savior Jesus Christ.  Did you like Elder Holland's story about the two brothers that went rock climbing?  I think my heart stopped when he said that he jumped.  I thought the story was going to end in disaster.  But then I cried because of the reality of the Metaphor.  The Savior is always there.  He never leaves us.  He reaches out to grab us when we fall and he will not let us fail.  It was sooooo good.  I also loved the prophet's emphasis on temples.  However, it was horrible for missionaries to hear that in my mission.  Because at this point in time, we can't go to the temple.  But on the bright side, it makes us that much more excited to go I suppose.  :)  And of course I loved all of President Uchtdorf's talk.... as I always do.  I took two pages of notes on it.... Whoops?  ;)

Although, I (as well as my companions and a few ward members) find it really strange that President Monson didn't do a "Welcome to Conference" and he didn't close the conference either.  People were saying it is because he felt sick... so I hope he gets feeling better soon.
The other really strange thing about conference is, they focused A LOT on marriage in both of the Saturday Sessions, but more so in the afternoon session on Saturday.  Sister G said she felt a bit reproved, but I just felt like they were telling everyone to get married and keep your marriages strong.  We were all making fun of each other and saying that we will have 3 months, 6 months, 1 month, etc. when we get back, before each of us gets married.  It was pretty funny!  
I think my favorite thing said on Saturday is when President Packer said, "All you need for a successful marriage is a cookie and a kiss."  So simplistic, yet so profound!  

But yes.  Conference was absolutely amazing and sooooo not long enough.  I feel as though it whips by when you are on your mission and I wish that it would have lasted longer.  However, I am noticing that the weeks are doing the same thing.  Already, one week of the new transfer is gone, and it felt like nothing.  My companions, who are both "older" than me in mission time, say that it only gets worse as the time goes by.  So you have to make EVERY MOMENT count.
I also really liked what the member of the 70 (I believe) said that he was told on his mission that as long as Heavenly Father and you, know that you are doing your best and working your hardest, you are effective in his eyes.  :)  I could go on and on... so if you have any specific questions about General Conference, write me and ask and I would love to answer them!  But as for the questions and such you sent in your original email...

PARKER IRWIN!  I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU GOT CALLED TO LOUISVILLE, KENTUCKY!  YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE SO MUCH FUN!  I am so excited for you!  (If you even get a chance to read this).  You, Lindsay, and I will have to compare mission stories!  I can't believe we are all going to be out at the same time!  When does he leave?  What MTC is he going to?  And what language is he speaking?

Transfers went really well!  We were so nervous that we were going to have a companion that wouldn't get along with us very well... but we definitely don't!  Yes.  We are still in a trio.  We actually had to stay in Shelby the whole day and keep working, so we didn't even know who our new companion was until about 6 at night.  Are you sick of me postponing who she is?  Should I tell you now?  How about now?  haha  Just kidding!  Her name is Sister B.  She is amazing!  She is from Greenwich, Utah.  She is 20 years old, just like me and Sister G.  She is really laid back, really willing to work, and soooo funny!  She has been out her mission the longest, in fact, she only has 5 weeks left.  So as she says, "Sister G and I get to kill her off."  haha  She is imparting so much knowledge and experience on us though... so I couldn't be more grateful.  Now we are just putting our heads together to progress the work in Shelby.
We also got a new elder named Elder M.  He is from Rexburg, ID, he is like 6'4'', and he is super funny.  By new missionary, I mean brand new.  Elder C is training this transfer!  :)  I will attach a picture of all of us together in another email.  Speaking of which: Unfortunately, since this week was so slow, I didn't get tons of pictures.  But I have a few.  So hopefully that will suffice for now.  :)

Glad to hear Easter was fun too!  :)  Our new convert L made us each an Easter Basket, it was so nice of her.  Thank you again for all the things you do for me and the wonderful goodies you send to me!  I love them every single time!  If you can, (if you haven't sent it already), see if y'all can get letters written to me.  I love reading your letters

I am so happy to hear that you invited one of Emily's friends and her family to participate in the temple celebration.  Let me know how it goes!  :)  I am so glad that you guys have the desire to be the missionaries that I encourage you to be.  I know that I am going to try my hardest to do the little things that I can when I return from my mission to keep spreading the gospel, but I also understand that it is a little harder where we live.  But at least we are trying and doing our part!  :)  Love you guys!

I have on and off contact with L.  We usually try to write at least a paragraph to each other every week.  But sometimes we run out of time.  But she is doing really well.  Did you know that she is training?  I am so proud of her!  :)  Look forward to hearing from y’all soon J
Loves and Hugs from NC!  

Ash

No comments:

Post a Comment